The Drama Committee of the Phillips’ Mill Community Association (PMCA) is pleased to announce the second Phillips’ Mill Juried One-Act Playwriting Competition to encourage the development of original new work for the stage. Cash prizes and the opportunity for public performance of their work will be awarded.
The first 50 submissions received during the acceptance period (now through Sept. 16) will be considered. If 50 submissions are received before the end of the acceptance period, notice of this fact will be posted on the PMCA website.
As many as six winners will be notified during the week of Oct. 21. Each winning entry will receive a cash prize of $100 and a public reading before a live audience at Phillips’ Mill on Saturday, Nov. 16.
A distinguished panel of judges will determine the awards in the competition. They are John Augustine, Judith Hallberg and James Schiffer.
Contest rules include the following:
– all work must be original, unpublished and not previously produced on a stage (other than in a workshop or educational environment)
– the playwright submitting the work must have sole and exclusive rights to publish and perform the piece
– the work must not infringe any copyright
– playwright must be 18 years of age or older
– playwright must currently live within a 100-mile radius of Phillips’ Mill
– copyright of all works submitted remains with the author
– musicals, monologues, children’s plays, adaptations, film and TV scripts are ineligible
– playwrights may submit no more than two scripts (each script is a separate entry, requiring a separate fee and using a unique entry number)
– entries must not exceed 5,000 words and should have a running time of 10-15 minutes with 1-6 characters
– scripts should follow standard play formatting (at the least: one-inch margins, 12-point font, character names capitalized, stage directions in italics and page numbers included)
– scripts must not include any form of identification, only the entry number provided by the playwright to the PMCA website
– scripts should include a character breakdown
– playwright should thoroughly proof-read and time each script
– playwright must be available to attend the rehearsal date on Nov. 6 or Nov. 14, and the performance date on Nov. 16
There is a non-refundable fee of $10 for each script entered. Entries must be received by Sept. 16 at midnight.
Winners will receive a cash prize of $100 and a public reading of their work by actors who will portray the characters presented, but who will not have memorized lines or movements on stage. Playwrights are encouraged to direct and cast their works, and bring those actors with them to the rehearsal and performance dates. PMCA actors will be required for one rehearsal and the Nov. 16 performance.
Complete directions and the entry form can be found at phillipsmill.org. For questions, contact Andrea Kenyon at email@example.com or Valerie Eastburn at firstname.lastname@example.org. Phillips’ Mill is located on Route 32 just north of New Hope.